Monday, July 19, 2010

Enjoying that FarmVille Scam?





I hate removing Facebook friends. I really do.  I'm a firm believer in 'the more the merrier'.


Sadly, I've removed a LOT in the last day.  Probably more than MANY of you have.  Some were very good friends.  Some were close friends.  Some were my first neighbors.  Now they're all gone, and gone for good.


Why?  Because you're either too stupid or too greedy or too gullible to try and click on every FarmVille Scam out there.  


It's a VERY RARE EVENT when Zynga actually gives something away, but when they DO, you'll see it IN THE GAME or ON THEIR WEBSITE.  It will be on all the credible blogs. Nowhere else.


I've TRIED to educate folks. There's even a page out there now called FarmVille Scams, which tells you how to block these things and which ones are scams (all of them, of course).  I paste it to my OWN wall so often it's sickening, and yet I swear some of you use that page to go and see which ones actually spit out FarmVille Cash like it's a mouthful of sour milk.


So....this is directed at all 325 former Facebook friends, so that you can be a better neighbor to the NEXT person you add - because it won't be me again.  The rest of you can just sit back and chuckle:



If FarmVille is having a promotion for ANYTHING, you can verify it at www.Zynga.com - Zynga is the company that produces FarmVille.  I realize that may be a little condescending to tell you that, but hey, you're the one clicking on all the 'Get FarmVille Rich Quick' idiocy.

When you "LIKE" these things (that means clicking on the LIKE button on the page, btw), it gets posted to your own Facebook page.  



It also shows up on MY Facebook feed.


While some of these scams are harmless, many, MANY of them take you to exterior (non-Facebook) sites that contain spyware, malware, viruses, trojans, genital herpes and pink-eye.  I don't have nor want ANY of that, thanks.  


Yes, I'm savvy enough to NOT click on it, but when I play FarmVille I click pretty fast.   If I happen to mis-click an click on some garbage post you've made because you're either too greedy or too stupid, that becomes MY problem...and it won't just kill my farm or my Facebook account, it could damage my computer and it's data.  


That's when Farmer Brown stops being so neighborly.  I work hard on MANY projects, and I am not about to lose work or data because YOU decided you needed a couple extra FV$.






Almost all of these 'offers' require you to add your friends, or to invite them.  Why?  Because the miscreants and criminals who create these pages want to impact MORE people.  Think about it!  Why would you be required to recruit more people for a FREE offer?


That's the basic problem.  You're not thinking.  You're reacting to what you think is some secret offer that you were cool enough to stumble upon.  


Guess what?  You're not that cool, you're not that savvy, and you're not that smart when your own Facebook wall is LITTERED with garbage like this.  In fact, in my book it makes you even too stupid to be online.  Go log off and read a book or two, and make the internet a safer place for all of us.


SO....beware.  Anybody can make mistakes, but for those of you who fall for these obvious things over and over and over again?  I'm sorry, but we have to part ways, and I will do so with extreme prejudice and not look back at all.  There are FAR too many GOOD players who are content to simply play the game.

7 comments:

  1. Finally someone says it like it is. I tell people SCAM on thousands of posts, but they just dont get it. So I simply hide the item. I have noticed some friends do it over and over and over on every item that pops out, so I know they are hungry to get something for nothing, and it never works. So I delete those friends.
    Thank you for posting this, I gave up fighting them a month ago, it just seems like a non succeeding task to make them understand if it seems to good to be true, IT IS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh can I borrow this I delete people daily for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, well said John.
    I'm sick of hitting the 'hide' button on all this BS, and I'm sick of posting 'this is a scam' in the comments underneath to warn people. While I do my best to help and to educate (can't help that - it's my training lol), I waste enormous amounts of time doing so. No more...! I'm scared of pinkeye and genital herpes - so I'm going to purge my list too of those people who can't help but click on the latest 'scam' just in case it might be real.
    Ty once again
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! People can also right click on those stupid little scams so they never receive the same ones again! If I see people posting them again and again - they are gone! Have a GREAT day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol i love it yopu speak the truth good job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, I don't know how many people I deleted because of this same bulls... so many in fact I no longer have enough neighbors to expand. People are so quick to jump at the thought of getting something "free". I clicked on a post to send a neighbor something they requested, only after I did I realized it was from the gamers unite feed. So then it automaticaly made me a "member" of their site. Please give me a break. I have to look at every damm post so carefully now to see where it is from. I don't use cheats, I don't fall for scams and I sure as hell don't have time for neighbors that do. I want good, safe, and smart neighbors. Is that to much to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M TIRED OF TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT SCAMS EVEN POSTED A TOOL THAT CHECKS LINKS FOR YOU. SENDED IT TO MANY WHO STILL JOIN SCAMS..HAVE DELETED MANY INCLUEING FAMILY AN MY X-WIFE..CAN'T BELIVE THEY KEEP JOINING OVER N OVER THE SAME SCAM...BESIDE NEW ONE'S..FACEBOOK SHOULD DO SOMRTHING ABOUT PEOPLE POSTING THEM..LIKE CHECK THE PAGE BEFORE THEY CAN POST IT

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics