Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Seriously, Zynga? WTF?



Hi, Mark!


It's me again.  I know I promised to give you a little time to get your act together at Zynga, but I really didn't mean for you to take care of all those laundry list items and screw up FarmVille at the same time.  That's a joke, by the way, because the silence coming from Zynga on ALL of these issues is all we get from you.


Let's review, shall we?
  • You rolled out the long-awaited Farmer's Market.  Millions could not access their farms for a week, and when they finally got into their farms, the sound of that awful theme song for FarmVille was drowned out by a collective, worldwide yawn.  
We get what out of that exactly?  A few XP? Some gas? There hasn't been a bigger disappointment since Geraldo opened Al Capone's safe.


  • You rolled out the ability for players to wrangle a Mustang, in an effort to get email addresses from folks.  Naturally, that didn't work so well, either, so you said you were disabling it while you worked on a fix.  That was months ago, no?  Still no fix?  Just how complicated can it be to have an event generate an email?
  • You rolled out the Tuscan Wedding...that was last November or something, wasn't it?  I know people who have actually fallen in love, planned HUGE weddings, gone on their honeymoon and come home in less time than you've had all these minions sending me olives, eggs, truffles and goats milk.  (What's the deal with this, anyway?  Did you get threatened by someone in Tuscany if you made it a reasonable duration?)  
As you know, millions of people could not use the Wedding Tent feature for the longest time.  Now that we can, we're done.  I mean seriously done.  I'm to the point now where I can't even LOOK at an egg in real life without becoming annoyed.  Enough already.  Would it be possible to KILL this feature without screwing up other things?  If so, why don't you just run along and take care of that for me, willya?

  • You rolled out pregnant pigs and piglets, in an effort to lure in new players.  Millions could not access their farms for a week, so you shut it down to fix it.  Now some rocket scientist who draws a paycheck from you (correction, from ME and millions like ME) decided to re-enable that feature, and guess what?  Not only does it still not work properly, but it's caused problems for millions.  Again.
  • You tried to reintroduce the Black Stallion after one of your idiot children accidentally put them in the Marketplace for 40,000 coins.  Not what you expected, was it?  So what did you do?  You killed off ALL stallions and breeding while you were going to 'fix' it.  Guess what?  It's still not fixed.  People are generating foals but not being paid for their hard work.  No coins, no XP, no nothing.  Again, another 'feature' that you've introduced in a very half-assed manner, and one that does not work properly at all.

Mark, do you see a pattern here?  I sure do, and guess what?  I'm not done yet.

  • You rolled out the iPhone app.  Great idea.  The demo of it was awesome.  Sadly we now know that the demo was conducted on a server that had ONE farm on it instead of the thousands that are normally on a server.  Many of us were able to load our farm ONCE.  Millions cannot get the app to work at all, despite two updates.  

Lest we forget, it was those White Apple trees that caused millions of us to go Out of Sync for days.  I'm not sure that part of it is fixed yet, because like millions of my fellow farmers, I still can't get the crappy application to load my farm.

  • You killed the Zynga Message Center. Why? Because it was too easy for us to collect and return gifts?  No, because we all figured out that we could use it to accept those White Apple Trees of Death.  
Mark, I know you people know how to do a message center/gift exchange.  The one in YoVille works pretty well when it shows up.  The one in Zynga Poker is epic.  Not only does it take fewer clicks to accept and return chips, but the thing is SMART enough to know when I've reached my limit, and instead of burning that last request that would've put me over my limit, it just tells me to try again tomorrow and saves it.  Why in the world can't you people just pull whoever created it and get them to work on the FarmVille part?

  • You rolled out the 'Lightning Collections', without so much as a word or an explanation as to the purpose, and, of course, problems crept up with millions of farms as a result.  Again.
  • You rolled out Beehives.  The instructions you gave were pretty decent (yep, credit where credit is due), but you still really haven't explained the purpose of these, nor have you demonstrated at all WHY we should even participate in this fiasco.  
The one thing I know about beehives is this:  Having a beehive means I now have to tend my farm every other day or I will lose all the work it took to gather the bees.  You know what that means to me?  That means that the Unwither Ring you sold me is basically worthless now.  I bought that ring so that I could leave my farm for a week if I wanted to, and come back to it just like I left it.  Now if I go on a 3 day vacation, I'll come back and have to go gather bees to refill my hive again.


The way I see it, that gold ring is now made of tin, and the fifty bucks (those are US dollars, Mark - not the monopoly money you people toss around like paper) I spent on the Unwither Ring were an investment made in good faith, and now you've made it so it was a very pointless purchase.

  • Now, you're rolling out these Craft Cottages, and for what return on our effort? A little fuel? 30 coins? 10XP?  I'm not sure anybody really knows, and God knows you're not just going to come out and tell us.  It'll be left up to the many fan sites out there to figure that out and pass the word along.  Hell, I think even that schmuck from FVF may figure it out before you get around to sharing that information with us.  Oh, and by the way?  Coincidence or not, THIS feature rollout has also kept millions of us from our farms.

Zynga, once again, has demonstrated itself to be long on promises (when they communicate with us at all) and short on delivery.  


Now, please - get back to work.  No more cutesy decorations, no more markets, no more dogs that nobody can feed (one cannot feed one's dog unless one can actually get into one's farm, now can one?), no nothing until you get some of the above items actually working.



Oh, and Mark?  Just on the off-chance that you're NOT reading these....I took the liberty to copy both letters and send them, Certified Mail, to all the Venture Capital firms who have shown the poor judgment to invest in Zynga.  

I figure since Zynga isn't listening, perhaps the folks who expect profits will listen.  It's really sad when the voices of your own customers aren't enough to make you respond or perform, so maybe the guys who hold the BIG purse strings may get your attention.

Love and kisses,


Farmer Brown


PS - I cannot wait - I mean I am literally counting the days - until you decide to take the company public.  You'll recognize me, I'll be the one at the very first Shareholder meeting, asking these same questions and demanding that the Board of Directors put you permanently Out of Sync.


You'd be FAR better off with having a guy like me ON your side.  Call me, I'll help.  LOL


(readers, feel free to share this around - maybe Mark will actually see it!)

26 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the animals that went missing ie my Fan Cows, for the large sum of 1,000,000 each, that still have not yet been returned. :( I had to wait longer than most of my neighbours to expand my farm because I wasted coins on them, and nothing but 1 fan cow left to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was only me. I'm just about done with farmville. The lag, the out of sync, the freezing, not being able to access my farm. There are so many other games with way less problems to be played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! Farmer Brown you hit the nail, or nails, on the head!! You covered everything we all have been thinking and feeling!! I wish Zynga luved us as much as we Luv Farmville! They make me feel like a redheaded stepchild!! lololol Please keep up your Great letter writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.M.G... I am speechless (yep it's possible) I have never met anyone who took the words out of my mouth (or keyboard) quite like you do! Bravo... there's nothing left to say xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 12 days of FACEBOOK.... 12 blankscreens.....11 locked up links ....10 games not working.......9 days of screaming ....8 posts not posting ....7 emails bitching ...6 cigs a smoking ...5 salty tears ......4 thousand gone... 3 broken mice... 2 therapists ....and a ...programmer...... hanging from a Pear treeeeee !!!!! ...♥ It !!!... :-)on Monday clear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, well thought out and epic. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You forgot to mention CONSTANTLY losing gifts. Each time I've contacted Zynga about this, or a problem from the above list, I receive a message telling me to go to the FAQ section on Zynga's website and to clear my cache. Never have I received actual advice that worked. The only response I have EVER gotten that was not automated was to say that due to some policy, they will not replace anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRAVO Farmer Brown and i do believe if ya need back up you will get plenty of it. I applaude you in both letters and what you are doing. And thank you for tell them whats on alot of their customers minds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And one major irritation. Why doesn't somebody monitor the news feed that you post to our walls. They are spam scam arenas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Farmer Brown for President!!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. few days ago, I lost 37 blue pony foal from ma nursery barn...& still not returned from FV,
    ....last 2 days got 10000+ "Out of Sync" msg...a new show up magic by FV by Zynga....once i thought they only care who paid them through FV$ = real $...but in current days i figure out they don't care anybody....we r the tester of their beta where we didn't paid from them but also we have to paid for test any new stuffz...grrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  12. I imagine this problem wasn't unique to me: I tried to use my dogs for their assigned paltry tasks, every time I did my game went OUT OF SYNC.... sound familiar. Now they're just friendly little decorations. Great article, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got so irritated w/ this game that I have not really gone on to play in the past month or so. I have gone back to my first love, FarmTown. No glitches... no Out-of-Sync... no problems.... AND I can make more money and points when I have SOMEONE ELSE do the work for me. Come on over to FarmTown everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like all the pop-ups that you have to stop working to get rid of. I really don't get the farmers market. None of my neighbors must be using it since it doesn't seem to do anything but slow me down. I started the bee hive and then learned it would give you more bushels for the market. I wish I hadn't started it. There is nothing in the wedding tent that I want and I am selling and storing so many things that I don't have room for because I am out of room for what I want. I will choose when I send gifts and I will send neighbor requestes to whom I choose. I don't want pop-ups in my way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how about my daughter has not been able to see the neighbor feed since she signed up and that has been a few months now. She got so frustrated that I am now playing her account. And I contacted Zynga. Do you know how many times I have said I would give them the password to fix it?? Oh probably 10 times. I have gotten that I am on priority list and everything. They don't get it. Maybe when September rolls around it will be fixed and I will have her at level 70. Thank goodness for good, understanding neighbors who let me know when they save things for her. UGHH!!

    As for those of you who lost Fan Cows. Keep bugging them. It took me 8 back and forth emails to get 14 Silver Pony's back. You could tell something was wrong as there were 54 horses in the stable..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen Farmer Brown ... you took the words from our mouths and put them on (digital) paper. But, to what extent ? Zynga will continue to drop until they become worse than Crapwire ... as I believe this is their ultimate goal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well said Farmer Brown!

    I think it speaks volumes when 1000's of people are complaining about multiple issues and the only thing Zynga can tell us is to clear our cache? How about they "pony" up for everything people lost. Keep the game simple or as many call it the KISS theory - Keep It Simple Stupid! Stop adding crap that has no real bearing on the fun we derive from the game itself, and get back to the basics!!!! The ONLY reason I have chosen to continue playing is because of the people I have met through FV and the Sharing Foals and Caves page - there are so many fun, knowledgeable, helpful and great people on there that is nearly makes up for the daily problems I expect AND have everyday with FV.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't possibly agree more!
    And adding to that list: the ridiculous requirements for the new 26X26 expansion. First I get all the neighbors needed and NOW I need $2,000,000?? WHO HAS THAT???
    I have all in all quit farmville and all zynga games. They've just gotten out of hand...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You forgot to mention FarmVille IS in Beta. You cannot expect it to run smoothy. You and the countless other people have two choices as I see it. Stop complaining, or quit. Zynga won't change, won't ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  20. GREAT!! thanks for saying all the right things for the rest of us! I hope they listen to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um, Skye? It's not in Beta. They have tagged it as Beta but anything that has been in the public domain this long is most CERTAINLY not Beta.

    It's a bullshit disclaimer that companies use to cover up their inept product, and we all know it.

    Zynga is selling me a product for which I pay hard-earned cash. Don’t try to hide actual shortcomings behind the ‘beta’ label. It’s a cop-out, we all know it, and it insults our intelligence. The cash the customers pay with is NOT beta cash. It's 'rent money'.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Farmer Brown for saying it so well!! And for SKYE, you say we have two choices?? You have got to be kidding me!! I have spent countless hours and dollars on this game because it was fun when I first started and very addicting. I am the consumer and they WANT my money to fill their fat wallets and I WANT what they are selling, but it is defective and so I have the right to complain. Enough people complain and things will change...that is how the world works but if you sit back and take it well of course things wont change. UGH. Once again thank you Farmer Brown for giving us this avenue to speak out :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with Farmer Brown and all of the other Farmville players that are having problems. The more stuff added to the game, the slower it plays. When the pop-up asks "Do you want to share this with your friends" and you click Agree - it takes over 30 seconds for the window you publish to Facebook to show up. This is like a bad dream on my MacBook.
    Now I downloaded the Farmville app onto my iPod Touch - and half the time it does not fully load - and the iPod shuts the program down. When it does load, it's hard to navigate around, and harder to get gifts to appear.
    OH Yeah, you can only share gifts with other farmers who are playing on an iPhone or iPod - but there's no sub-list of my Farmville friends who do that, so I cannot share gifts with anyone. I'm unloading Farmville from my iPhone, and if you don't fix the things Farmer Brown brought up I may resign from Farmville altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Take a look at my Farm and you will see just how angry some of us can get. I had it all, and I mean all. I got crop losses, purchased horse losses, an out of sync that stole my million dollar mansion, etc etc etc. I got so ticked I sold all my animals, alll my barns, houses, everything but one castle a friend gave me as a gift. Yup, 6.5 million farm to bare naked. Did I get fed up with the crap? I got proof of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW, mabey they need to add a theripist!

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics