Sunday, July 18, 2010

R.I.P. Nursery Barn 2010-2010



I'm about to delete my Nursery Barn.  


After much thought and consideration, I've decided that this contraption is simply something for lower-level farmers to use to get some breeding experience, a couple horses to breed from for free, and store a bunch of the foals and calves that randomly litter so many farms in FarmVille.


See, here's my problem with the Nursery:  It produces very little for the time it took to build and for what it produces.  Just not a good return on investment for something that takes up so much screen space.


It's a very cute concept.  Who doesn't love the fantasy idea of taking little babies and having them grow up into adults?  Of course, these adults are apparently already pregnant and deliver to you 5 foals or 10 calves to share - that never made any sense to me, but we're talking about FarmVille here.  


I've concluded, however, that to the FarmVille farmer who is serious about leveling up quickly, and accumulating coins and XP, those 7x9 units of space can be used to plant high dollar crops or house things (like your chicken coop) which have a far better ROI.




A fully loaded Nursery Barn holds 20 animals.  Loaded with, say, Black Stallion Foals, here's the yield daily:


Yep.  1000 coins.  I can find and sell 3 groovy cows and get more cash out of it.


Yes, they do make horses, but look at what you give up VS what you get:






Aside from the Creme Draft and Blue Pony, for me there's not much on that list worth having over and over and over again.  Once you've managed to collect a couple of each, there's really no need to keep that structure on your farm unless the idea appeals to you emotionally.  I've seen some of you with 3-4-5 even 10 Nursery Barns (which Zynga will eventually take, btw - two is the limit permitted), and if you have them full of animals you get a minimal return for the enormous amount of space this structure covers.


So, for me, today's the last harvest.  I got my 1004 coins, and now I'm going in to reclaim my space.  I've got to have that space for the upcoming Craft Cottages, ya know. ;-)


FB

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm, OK very cool. Now I'm thinking. Since I have 2, maybe I'll get rid of 1. Thanks for the fat to chew over. Very helpful. Happy farming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wise man. I agree and am going to sell my second nursery barn, I'll keep the 1st for a while as I have some blue pony and cream draft foals that Farmville friends like to get. With the black stallion foals now growing into black horses there isn't much point and I now only harvest the nursery barns once per day as the "nursery barn is busy" thing requires refreshing so many times to accomplish each attempt that it is not worth the effort. Now that I've built up my stock and have a stallion in residence it is much more rewarding to focus on breeding in the stable and dairies (though the dairies don't seem to produce much).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to delete mine too - I have been thinking about it for quite a while, in the very same terms. Thankyou for confirming for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm.... this is so true. I think myself "how many chickens could I fit in place of those 2 x nursery barns on my farm?".

    I think I will finish switching my blue foals/cream clydes over with the black pony foals, and get rid of mine also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Savvyshopper: Calves are a better Value then chickens are they not? at 80 coins per day per calf, 16 calf's per plot, I have never understood why so few farmers collect those. Instead I see tons of large bulky animals who make No Money..? This always puzzles me.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics